Updated for Teacher Appreciation Week 2019: It’s hard to believe another school year has gone by so fast! Much has happened in the world during that time, with more changes looming on the horizon. For those who teach, change is an accepted reality. From changes to curriculum, to testing, to contracts, to tenure, to pay, to classroom sizes, to added responsibilities, teachers are very familiar with change.
Many of the changes thrust upon teachers are unjust, and unrealistic, but teachers persevere. Why? Because Teachers are Change Makers! They change the lives of countless individuals year after year, but Why? Is it because of the money? Is it because of all the free time the job provides? Is it because of the endless praise society bestows on the teaching profession? Or, is because they believe that what they do makes a difference? Yes! I believe most teachers teach because they want to make the world a better place, and they do!
The following stories are drastic examples of teachers going the extra mile to change the lives of their students. As in our previous blog, you will hear about teachers willing to sacrifice life and limb, all for the benefit of their students.
1. Florida teacher or Superwoman? Florida teacher pulls children from burning bus.
2. Your lessons can actually be a live saver! A classroom lesson leads to student’s discovery of life threatening condition.
3. A teacher who puts his own safety aside. Teacher wrestles student gunmen, saves lives.
4. Quick thinking teacher helps student who bit off more than they could chew. Teacher saves a choking student.
5. Teacher breaths life into the classroom. Teacher saves student who stopped breathing.
6. Teacher VS Wild! Teacher confronts wild fox.
7. Teacher gives more than lessons to his student. Teacher gives kidney to save students life.
8. Teacher helps student make it to second grade. Another story of a teacher going the extra mile.
9. Teachers and staff put training into action on the playground. Faculty save life of student.
10. Teacher stands in the way of danger. This teacher put her own life on the line to confront a shooter saving countless lives.
Are you left with the impression that teachers just might be Super Heroes? Me too! Those were heroic tales that made the news. However, it is important to remember teachers do heroic deeds everyday without the world knowing.
Before we end here, don’t forget about the teacher who helped you to be brave when you hurt yourself on the playground. Don’t forget the teacher who helped you find your voice and the courage to share your gifts with the world. Don’t forget the teacher who challenged you because they believed in your true potential. I could go on and on, but time does not permit. So let us take the time next week and each day, to say Thank You to those who teach and have taught.
Oh, and if you are a teacher and hear someone say, “You are just a teacher,” remember you are so much more. Check out this great poster from the Busy Teacher. To all the teachers that believed in me and helped me grow, Thank You!
If you have a teacher you wish to acknowledge or a heroic story to tell, please share it with us in the comments below.